ENGLISH TITLES TWO: The Noun Phrase/Noun Clause as an Object 1

The noun phrase/noun clause functions as object when it answers the question WHO/WHAT after the verb in a sentence. Generally, the object has been defined as the receiver of the action (of the subject) in the sentence. The object can be of two types: direct object and indirect object

Direct Object (Noun phrase)

The direct object will answer the question WHO/WHAT after an ACTION VERB in a sentence. For example:

The FIFA President kicked the ball
(The FIFA President kicked WHAT?)

The students memorised the English sounds
(The students memorized WHAT?)

The press club have invited a renowned novelist. 
(The press club have invited WHO?) 


Direct Object (Noun clause)

I know that I will ace the exam
(I know WHAT?)

A young girl saw what happened
(He saw WHAT?)

She believed the person who told her the story
(She believed WHO?)

Similar to our discussion on the noun clause as subject, when the noun clause functions as direct object, it can be appropriately replaced by at least one of the following pronouns: him/her, it, them. 

I know that I will ace the exam
(I know it.)

A young girl saw what happened
(A young girl saw it.)

She believed the person who told her the story
(She believed him/her.)

Apart from noun phrases and noun clauses, the following can also function as direct object: 

Pronouns
Plural Nouns
Gerund (nouns formed from verbs)
Proper nouns

1. Pronouns as object

1. The teacher rebuked him
(The teacher rebuked WHO?)

2. He has seen them
(He has seen WHO?)

3. I have found it
(I have found WHAT?)

2. Plural Nouns as object

1. I like apples.
(I like WHAT?)

2. John reads novels
(John reads WHAT?)

3. A misogynist hates women
(A misogynist hates WHO?)

3. Gerund as object

1. Steve likes reading
(Steve likes WHAT?)

2. Steve hates cooking.
(Steve hates WHAT?)

Please note that the example below (and similar examples) should not be assumed to be an example of gerund. 

Lizzy is reading. 
(Lizzy is WHAT?) 

To the question Lizzy is WHAT? You will say reading, right? But do you know that is wrong! I will tell you why. When a gerund is functioning as an object, the gerund can be replaced with the pronoun 'it'. Let's see how this applies:

Steve likes reading. 
(Steve likes it.)

Lizzy is reading. 
(Lizzy is it**)
 
So, the question is: Is reading in the sentence, Lizzy is reading, an example of gerund functioning as an object? No, isn't it? Why? Because it cannot be replaced by the pronoun it. Wow! Good! 

4. Proper nouns as object

1. My computer studies teacher adores Bill Gates.
(My computer studies teacher adores WHO?)

2. I Know Simbi. 
(I know WHO?)

Suggested previous English titles





Homophones 

Polysemous words

Formation of plural nouns





Post a Comment

2 Comments

  1. Thanks for the bunch of good resourceful site.I really appreciate your blog,you have done the great job.Your site is far informative and effective to those who are in need of more teaching techniques and materials on Noun clause. Excellent show .

    ReplyDelete