Bible Reading!

I have listened to people read portions of the scriptures and I taken note of a number of things. 

In view of the above, I have decided to pen down my observations and make corrections where necessary. I will also give one or two comments in some other instances. 

It is my belief that you will find them useful. 

Let's take two examples today. 

Example 1

1 Corinthians 12:11
But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man SEVERALLY as he will.

May I submit that the synonyms for 'severally' in the above passage is 'individually' or 'separately'. You don't have to agree. In fact, it is to your advantage that you don't. However, do yourself a favour. Check it up in a dictionary. Biko! 

I hope you took note of the spelling of 'sepArately'. Avoid an 'e' after the 'p'. Thus, 'sepErately' is considered incorrect.  

You know my submission? 

You no fit use abari speak correct English fa! 

If 'severally' means individually, it therefore won't be wrong to say, for example, that: 

• You will be severally liable for your actions. 

• Every man will be severally held accountable for their deeds before God. 

In addition, it will also be therefore wrong to say, 

• I called you severally! 

You know why? It is because 'severally' doesn't mean 'repeatedly'.  

Example 2

Luke 5:4 & 9
Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a DRAUGHT ... For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the DRAUGHT of the fishes which they had taken.

The capitalised word in the verse above is pronounced DRAFT! Yes, draft. You heard me right! That's the British spelling of 'draft'. 

The next time you are privileged to take Bible reading in church, remember to pronounce 'draught' as 'draft'.

A beautiful morning to you! 





Post a Comment

0 Comments